Question
Posted by: Olivia | 2009-02-13

Chemical peels and high pillows for eyes

I am 35 years old and would like to know if a chemical peel really does make you look younger and which one is recommended. I also want to know if it will make my skin peel off and go all red afterwards. Also do you just need to have one or is it an ongoing thing.

The other thing I would like to know is if sleeping with two pillows helps with dark shadows under the eyes

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Olivia, thank you for the question.

There are a number of different chemical peels on the market and we can divide them into 3 broad groups: superficial, medium and deep.

Chemical peels do work and the choice of peel is dependent on the condition of the skin (age, degree of sun damage, etc.), what improvements you would like to see, which possible side effects you are comfortable with and what downtime is acceptable for you. Superficial peels require a number of treatments, medium depth (TCA 20%) may require 1 or 2 treatments, and deep peels (Phenol) require only 1 treatment. My advice is to log on to my webpage (www.aestheticfacialenhancement.co.za) and in the search function tab type chemical peels and press the search button. A number of different chemical peels will come up and one can view their effects, indications, contraindications, side effects, etc.

Unfortunately, sleeping on two pillows will not help with the dark rings around the eyes.