Posted by: Rose | 2009-03-30

Chemical peels

Hi doc,

I have aged skin  can a chemical peel make a difference? What are the side effects and how much does it cost?

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Rose, thank you for the question.

Chemical peels can make a difference to sun damaged and ‘aged’ skin, however, the degree of change and the time before a change is noted is dependent on the type of peel one performs. As a general guideline your choices are superficial (glycolic acid), medium depth (TCA 20%), or deep peels (Phenol).

Superficial peels require a number of sessions (6 to 8) for full benefits, TCA peels usually require between 1 to 3 treatments, while only 1 treatment is necessary with a deep peel. One needs to consider the downtime with each of these choices as one may need to take some time off work. With the phenol peel it even may be necessary for someone to take care of you for 2 to 3 days due to the possibility of swelling around the eye area.

You can log onto my web page and click on the Anti-Ageing Database Tab and search chemical peels for a more in depth explanation of these peels, there results and effects, and possible side effects. Or alternatively you can log onto: