Posted by: Lost in Translation | 2009-07-22

Chemical Peel done in Taiwan

Dear Doctor

I am in Taiwan and I have gone for my first Chemical Peel on 7/20. My doctor can speak some English, but couldn' t really answer my questions about my skin care range. Can I use Neutrogena " Acne Stress Control Power Foam Wash" , which contains salicylic acid after getting the treatments. I am also currently using Clinique' s Clarifying Lotion and Moisturizing Lotion. I don' t know if the Clarifying Lotion' s gentle exfoliating properties, are a bad thing after the treatment.

Can I be outside after a treatment? Can I continue to take Minocycline while getting the treatments?

Also, I see that you replied to a lady and said that the skin needs to be prepared a month ahead of the treatment. Mine wasn' t, and I' ve been using Differin gel before the treatment. My doctor here told me to stop using it one week before the procedure.

Thank you for your help.

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi ‘Lost in Translation’, thank you for the question and my apologies for the delay with my answer.

I will presume that you had a superficial alphahydroxy or a betahydroxy acid chemical peel and will base my answers accordingly. One tends to get an improved result by ‘preparing’ the skin using topical alphahydroxy acids and vitamin A or its derivatives. This does not mean that the peels will not benefit your skin. I would stop the Differin Gel 1 week before any of the superficial chemical peels and following the treatment I recommend that you use a good SPF (50 or higher that contains zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide applied several times daily); continue using your moisturizer and foam wash (unless sensitivity is experienced), but to stop the Clarifying Lotion for 10 days after the treatment. Minocyclin can be safely used while receiving superficial peels.