Question
Posted by: FBI | 2009-05-04

Chemical peel after roaccuatne

Hi doctor

I am completing month 7(final month) of roaccuatne 40 mg per day. My dermatogist (very experienced) has recommended a chemical peel 2 months post my completion of the roaccuatne. Will it help reduce the acne scars that I' ve accumulated over the last 8 years. I' ve also noticed a tremendous inrease in wrinkling all over my face in the last 6 months. I am 34 years old. Can i have it sooner than 2 months post roaccutane? YOur advise would be appreciated. Thank you!

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi FBI, thank you for the question and my apologies for the delay with my response.

You should definitely wait at least 2 months (as your dermatologist has recommended) but my advice would be to wait 3 months to be 100% safe even with light superficial chemical peels.

Acne scars (mild to moderate depth) can be reduced with peels but you will have to consider medium depth peels such as a 20% TCA peel for noticeable results. TCA peels will produce downtime for 10 to 14 days and you need to consider this before embarking on this treatment regime. Deep acne scars will need a more aggressive approach and one may have to consider laser skin rejuvenation (Fraxel, Ultrapulse FX).

The wrinkling you have noticed is most probably from the Roaccutane and should improve in the next few months.