Question
Posted by: Tracey | 2011/03/07

Chemical Peel

Hi there - I am 40 years old and my skin is quite good. I do not use any make-up (besides mascara and lipstick). I have a little sun-damage on my face and am considering a chemical peel. Can you give me an opinion on this?

Are there other treatments I should possibly consider?

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Tracey, thank you for the question.

You have a number of options for removing sun damage or pigmentation but one must remember that not all pigmentation can be permanently removed and one may have to retreat in the future:

Sun protection: a good SPF (50 or higher) that contains zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide applied several times daily and sun avoidance as much as possible (hat, umbrella, shade, etc.)

Technology based treatments (IPL or fractional skin resurfacing): this is most probably the best treatment option as the depth of penetration tends to be deeper than most peels

Chemical peels and topicals: either superficial or medium depth peels are an option however with superficial peels (NeoStrata glycolic acid with booster pads) a number of peels will need to be performed (4 to 8) with a 6 weekly interval.

DermaCeutic’s milk peel and spot peel (combination treatment) will require fewer treatments (2 to 4) to clear pigmentation but one can expect sloughing of skin and even active peeling of the pigmentation for 5 to 7 days.

My advice would be to add topical depigmenting creams to this treatment option such as Lumixyl or NeoStrata Depigmenting Cream and Brightening Cream.

1
Posted by: anti-ageing expert | 2011/03/08

Hi Tracey, thank you for the question.

Reply to anti-ageing expert