Question
Posted by: hestia | 2010/06/07

chemical peel

Good day
I am 32 years old and struggling with pigmentation. I had a chemical peel done almost a year ago. all the marks was gone for a very short time however they returned and are now even worse. I went to a skin specialist and he said they did the chemical peel too deep and now I am struggling with white heads on my skin. I had to stop with the skin specialist due to running out of funds.
What can I do to get rid of the pigmentation. Should I get another chemical peel done but this time by a skin specialist? Or is there other alternatives?

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Hestia, thank you for the question.

Pigmentation or sun damage may be very difficult to get 100% removed and typically one should rather look at its treatment as management or keeping it under control. The main reason for this is that the pigmentation we see on the surface is only the tip on the ice berg as the pigment usually extends into the deep layers of the skin.

Your best option is to consider a good SPF (50 or higher) that contains zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide. One should add to this a topical depigmenting regime such as NeoStrata’s Brightening Cream (during the day) and Pigment Lightening Gel (at night) and one may consider light/superficial glycolic acid peels every 4 to 6 weeks.
Greater improvement can be achieved with technology but one needs to differentiate between pigmentation caused purely sun damage/exposure and pigmentation with a hormonal association such as Melasma as the treatment is slightly different.
Typically pure sun damage pigmentation responds extremely well to IPL (Intense Pulse Light) based treatments while Melasma typically needs fractional skin resurfacing (Matrix RF/Sublative Rejuvenation, Fraxel, Ultrapulse FX, Starlux, etc.)

1
Posted by: anti-ageing expert | 2010/06/12

Hi Hestia, thank you for the question.

Reply to anti-ageing expert