Question
Posted by: Denise | 2010/03/30

Chemical Peel

Hello there,
Thanks for the helpful advice. I really do enjoy reading all the questions and responses.

Please advise how effective chemical peels are for acne scarring - that is not too severe but bothers me? also what needs to be done after the peel? ie stay out of the sun, use any specific products?
Thanks again.

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Denise, thank you for the question.

Superficial chemical peels are only indicated for very mild depth acne scarring while a more noticeable moderate to severe depth acne scarring is better treated using a 20% TCA peel.

With superficial peels one needs to use a good SPF (50 or higher) and it must contain zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide.
With 20% TCA peels one needs to stay out of the sun until heeling has taken place (10 to 14 days) and a good SPF (as above) needs to be continued. A specific post TCA peel gel would need to be applied (to provide a barrier and moisturization) but this differs between the different manufactures. One may be swollen and you may not be able to go to work for 3 to 5 days after a 20% TCA peel.

My advice would be to consider some form of fractional skin resurfacing as generally speaking the downtime is minimum and very little or no swelling will be noticed.

1
Posted by: anti-ageing expert | 2010/03/31

Hi Denise, thank you for the question.

Reply to anti-ageing expert