Question
Posted by: AHA | 2010/09/23

Chemical-in-balance in the brain

Hi doc

My aunt has been diagnose of the above. It''s now more then 18 years. When she''s on medication she''s fine, but sometimes she starts drinking and don''t drink her medication, and like they say alchocol and medication don''t go. Anyway, this situation is really taking its toll, we can''t look after her anymore, my other aunt that''s currently looking after her started to gamble and now she lost everything, my parents also looked after her for some years and she made our lives a living hell!!
What I would like to know, do you perhaps know of a home where we can send her to, not and institution but some place she can live and they keep her occupied and insure she takes her medication. We love her very much and had her in a mental institution, but we as a family could not handle it, it made her worse, we also don''t want to throw her away, we''ll fetch her weekends and so on, but it''s destroying our family. We looking at in place in KwaZulu Natal or Gauteng. My aunt lives in Durban currently and we live in Pretoria.

Any advice would be appreciated
AHA

OK< "chemical imbalance in the brain" is not a diagnosis - it's an explanation. It helps to describe how a number of different mental problems arise, and why meds can help them.
Drinking alcohol NEVER EVER helps ANY psych condition, and especially so if she stops taking her meds, though alcohol actually undermines the benefits of most meds as well.
That your other aunt is running into severe problems with gambling suggests that difficulties in impulse control may run in your family, adn you all need to be cautious about alcohol, drugs, cigarettes, gambling, etc.
And as for placing her, I agree with Liza. And don't be too fussy - someone who sqaunders all her own resources, and those of others, and acts in self-damaging ways, needs structure and firmness not a permissive place what will enable her to cause more harm to herself or others

3
Posted by: AHA | 2010/09/27

Thx for the answers, yes, my aunt gets a disability grant! Where can I find the numbers, only by a social worker?

AHA

Reply to AHA

Posted by: Liza | 2010/09/23

Contact a state social worker close to where you live. She/He will be able to tell you what options are available. Is your aunt on disability? Because if she is, there are homes for the disabled that she can go to.

Good Luck
Liza

Reply to Liza