Question
Posted by: Ronel | 2012-02-22

Chela Fer

Are tere any generics for Chela Fer iron tablets please?
If not, can you recommend an alternative?

Expert ImagePharmacist

Chela-Fer contains ferrous bisglycinate, a amino acid chelated form of iron ("for improved absorption and good gastric tolerance"). No specidic "generic" is avaialable, although you should be able to find other chelated iron products. Another good iron supplement, although not chelated, is Ferri-med.

7

Hi Michelle, The regulations on how medications and supplements are scheduled and marketed changed in 2014. Chelafer used to be classified as a supplement and it had 30mg of iron in it. The MCC (medical controls council) became stricter with how companies were marketing and promoting their products. Any product containing more than 24mg of iron in it, now had to send an application to the MCC to have the product classified as a "supplement". The approval process could take up to 2 years and the company making Chelafer obviously thought that it was just easier to decrease the amount of iron in their product, rather than go through the process with the MCC. Any product that had 24mg of iron or less in it, would be classified as a "foodstuff" and did not have to go through an approval process with the MCC. They thus took the easy route and now Chelafer contains so little iron that it is not even classified as a supplement. A 200 gram steak has around 6mg of iron in it. Ferrous Forte has even less iron in it. If you are anaemic then you need to take at least 50mg of iron per day if not more.

There is a great product on the market called Ferrous forte, it contains 20mg chelated iron, folic acid, vit B12 and vit C which will alao help absorb your dietary iron. Very cost effective, no constipation and black stool. Try it.

Hi Michelle. Chelafer was reduced due to MMC laws and regulations. Another chelated iron on the market is Ferrous Forte. It has 20mg iron, but also has folic acid, B12 and vit C. Its quite afordable too. You could probably take 2. Check it out.

Hi, I would like to know why Chelafer (30mg) is now reduced to 24mg? I am anemic and ever since I took the 30mg I have been fine, as my hair used to drop. Now with the 24mg my hair is dropping again and I see spots now and again. Thank You. - Michelle

Posted by: pharmacist | 2012-02-23

Reply to pharmacist | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Michelle | 2014-08-26