I was recently diagnosed with Thalessemia. I seemed to have a weight problem and although I excercise and eat correctly, I wasn' t losing the weight. When I went to the doc, she had me do full blood count and found out that I have Thal.
I want yo know whether the CHELA-FER will help with regulating my body and probably help me lose the weight and go back to the way I used to be. I used to weigh about 49/52 kg but am now weighing approx. 74kg.

I gym everyday but in the last 4 weeks have only lost 1 kg. I am on the CHELA-FER for about 3 weeks now.

Dear Anonymous/Shirley
I have so far not heard of an association with Thalassemia and weight increase. Your weight gain and inability to lose weight may be due to other factors such as depression, hormone imbalances, etc. When next you see your dr discuss these possibilities with her because I presume she did not test for other abnormalities after discovering the Thalassemia.
Stick to a low-fat, energy-reduced diet and keep up the good work with the exercise because even if you are not losing at the moment, your regimen is probably preventing you from gaining even more weight. If you should be diagnosed with insulin resistance please keep in mind that it is essential for anyone with insulin resistance (IR) to consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your IR, medications and other conditions such as overweight, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on low-fat foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’.
Holding thumbs that you can diagnose what is causing your poor weightloss.