Question
Posted by: Carmella_L | 2006-08-30

Q.

CHELA FER

I was recently diagnosed with anaemia and was told by my dietician to supplement with chela fer. I have been taking it for 2 and a half weeks. I was wondering of there are any side effects of taking it since i have had problems with my stomach, headaches, dizziness, nausea and a dry mouth. Is it possible that it could be the chela-fer since i cant think what else could be wrong?

Expert's Reply

A.

Expert ImagePharmacist

Iron supplements may indeed cause abdominal or stomach pain, cramping (continuing), constipation, heartburn, nausea or vomiting, but these symptoms tend to dissapear after the body adjusts to the medication. If your symptoms does not improve contact your prescriber.

8
user comments

C.

I have been using chela fer for about 5 months and I start developing big angry hard pimples and black pigments on my face so please if you have the same problem stop using them and contact your doctor

I have always taken iron because I have chronic anaemia. I have done my research on all of the different products available because I have either had side effects from the tablets, or they didn't work and I became anaemic again. I go to one of the best haematologists in the country because I couldn't function I was so anaemic and I kept having to be admitted to hospital for an iron drip. He put me on Ferrimed tablets and I felt better but I became constipated. My pharmacist then said that I must try Chelafer. I used it for 4 weeks and I became anaemic again. I went back to my haematologist and he said that Chelafer has very little iron in it and it is like a vitamin and not for people who are anaemic. He told me to take Ferrimed with food and water and I won't get side effects. I take it with my dinner every night and I haven't become anaemic again and I haven't had any constipation.

Posted by: anonymous | 2015-02-09

I being using Chela Fer tablets for 3yrs now and its causing dark pigmentation on my face. Should i stop using.

Reply to anonymous
Posted by: Christa Coetser | 2015-01-01

I had only good effects of Chela-fer after been diagnosed with anemia. I hoped I could use even more than the 2 x 30mg I've been using. I have no side effects and I am on the banting diet. I just often feel I still need more...I am a working mother from home and I still have low blood pressure. It is very hot in summer in South Africa.

Reply to Christa Coetser

My husband has a stomache ulcer and its swollen at the mouth of the small intestine -he has a iron defiency and is anemic -since taking chela-fer he vomits after eating or drinking -could it be the chela - fer

I've heard that there is no clinical research behind Chelafer. It even says on the the pack. I have been taking Ferrimed -great product for the amount of iron in it. I take it after meals to avoid and risk of constipation as my Doctor recommended

Posted by: natalie la cave | 2014-05-27

hi there i have just started with Chela - fer as i am anemic but i do suffer with IBS and constipation so is this the right medication for me to take as i already have constipation and dont need further constipation. is there a natural IRON supplement to take. Thanks

Reply to natalie la cave

My husband is a cardiac patient and was.asked to use the chela get, so you think it's safe or is there an alternate. He is 54 years old

Want to comment?