Question
Posted by: Carmella_L | 2006-08-30

Q.

CHELA FER

I was recently diagnosed with anaemia and was told by my dietician to supplement with chela fer. I have been taking it for 2 and a half weeks. I was wondering of there are any side effects of taking it since i have had problems with my stomach, headaches, dizziness, nausea and a dry mouth. Is it possible that it could be the chela-fer since i cant think what else could be wrong?

Expert's Reply

A.

Expert ImagePharmacist

Iron supplements may indeed cause abdominal or stomach pain, cramping (continuing), constipation, heartburn, nausea or vomiting, but these symptoms tend to dissapear after the body adjusts to the medication. If your symptoms does not improve contact your prescriber.

4
user comments

C.

My husband has a stomache ulcer and its swollen at the mouth of the small intestine -he has a iron defiency and is anemic -since taking chela-fer he vomits after eating or drinking -could it be the chela - fer

I've heard that there is no clinical research behind Chelafer. It even says on the the pack. I have been taking Ferrimed -great product for the amount of iron in it. I take it after meals to avoid and risk of constipation as my Doctor recommended

Posted by: natalie la cave | 2014-05-27

hi there i have just started with Chela - fer as i am anemic but i do suffer with IBS and constipation so is this the right medication for me to take as i already have constipation and dont need further constipation. is there a natural IRON supplement to take. Thanks

Reply to natalie la cave

My husband is a cardiac patient and was.asked to use the chela get, so you think it's safe or is there an alternate. He is 54 years old

Want to comment?