Question
Posted by: Rhea | 2012/01/12

Cheese craving

I have been clinically diagonised with IBs and through an elimination diet have found an intolence to diary. I have the most intense craving for cheese on a regular, almost daily basis. I also have hypothyroidism and IR.

Dear Rhea
The question that needs to be answered is if you are intolerant to dairy foods, including cheese, because of an allergic reaction to the lactose (milk sugar) in milk or because of an allergy to one or other protein in all dairy products? If you are not allergic or intolerant to any of the proteins in milk and dairy foods, but only the milk sugar or lactose, then you should still be able to eat cheese and even yoghurt, which do not contain any appreciable amounts of milk sugar anymore after the fermentation process. If you are allergic or intolerant to one or other protein in milk and dairy then I can only suggest that you take a calcium supplement such as MenaCal.7 or Caltrate or Calcium Sandoz for a month to see if this helps with the craving for cheese. If you do obtain relief by taking a calcium supplement then it is important to continue taking such a supplement (preferably MenaCal.7) during periods when you avoid all dairy products.
If you find that the complexity of your conditions (IBS, IR and hypothyroidism) is making normal eating problematic, then I would urge you to consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will have to check if you are getting all the nutrients you require for good health and assist with an individual diet prescription which takes all your conditions into account.

1

Dear Rhea