Question
Posted by: Ana | 2011/10/13

Cheese

Hi DietDoc.

Please can you help me. I would like to find out what is the healthiest cheese option for my family. I have two small children. I know that cottage cheese is the best but my kids don''t like it. They love cheddar or gouda but I want to find out if there is a healthy option I can try introduce them to. Thanks so much

Dear Ana
Cheeses are healthy foods because they are a rich source of high quality protein and calcium. The relatively high fat content of most cheeses (excluding low-fat cottage cheese which comes in delicious varieties and many different flavours, which should please the most discerning palates), is counteracted by the fact that you only need a serving of 30g per day. Cheeses with the lowest fat content are: Mozzarella (353 kJ/30g); reduced and medium-fat cheeses 327 kJ/30g); Feta (331 kJ/30g); Ricotta (173 kJ/30g).

1

Dear Ana