Question
Posted by: addictive | 2008/06/23

cheddar cheese

Please can you tell me if melting slices of cheddar cheese on a sandwich machine is less fatening than a normal slice? When it is fried or grilled there is so much oil that gets left behind. Therefore I would love to know if grilled cheese is fattening?

Dear Addictive
I don't have values for melted cheddar cheese, but the SA Food Tables list the energy and fat contents of cheddar cheese as 1685 kJ and 33.1g per 100g (both of these values are very high). I doubt that you are going to leave much fat behind if you melt the cheese, so I would say that grilled cheese is still fattening and should be eaten in moderation.