Posted by: concerned | 2009-05-20

check ups

Why do we get a gynae exam every year, are our other parts like heart,kidney,liver,etc not important to check,just our genitals, this doesnt make sense to me.I go because that is what is done,but how important is a bimanual examination,etc. Also I go for a mammogram every year,because im over 40 and told to,but I beleive that there is great risk in doing so,with little benefit. Please could you give me some good reason for all of this. Thanks

The main reason for gynae checks is that problems with the uterus and ovaries (fibroids , cysts, etc) are relatively common. Cancer of the cervix is also common and precancerous conditions can be detected by pap smears. All of these can occur in relatively young women. Breast cancer is one of the commonest cancers in women, hence the mammograms. If you do not have risk factors, once every two years is probably okay.
When you are over 45, you should start having medical check-ups - heart, blood pressure, cholesterol, as abnormalities in these areas then become commoner.