Posted by: Mary | 2012-10-03

Check-up / Physical

A 33-year old friend of ours was recently diagnosed with testicular cancer. He has had an operation and his scans reveal that all is well. It has given everyone a wake-up call though.

What tests/examinations would you recommend for 30-odd year old males, to check for any similar dread diseases? Do they do these at a GP?

Thank you!

Yes, it is a good idea to consult your GP for a full physical examination once a year. Blood tests can be done to exclude or to test for certain types of cancer. In the case of testicular cancer, it is important for a male to self examine the contents of the scrotum on a regular basis, as this is the best way to detect cancer.

Posted by: Tanya | 2012-10-03

Oops! Sorry, didnt read properly there, thought you said prostate.
Maybe a Urologist could check both prostate and testicles. The owner of the testicles (lol) should check for any strange lumps and bumps much like we check our breasts.

Reply to Tanya
Posted by: Tanya | 2012-10-03

I suppose most GP''s would do an examination, but a Urologist may be a better way to go - straight to the Specialist I say.

Reply to Tanya