Question
Posted by: Mini | 2008/10/03

Cheaper Gynae consultations

I am 22 Years old and not on a medical aid. i have been phoning around for gynae appointments when they include a sonar. I have only been to a gynae once in my life and he did a sonar and said i had small cysts on my ovaries,but it should go away.

There is no way i can afford the prices i have been quoted such as R1200, R800, R950, for your first visit.
I always have a burning sensation down there and things just dont feel right so i want to have it checked out.

pleeeeeeeeeez advise

You would then have to go to a government hospital.

3
Posted by: GG | 2008/10/06

Lou is right, there are alot of female GP' s that like to specialise in female health. I went to a specific female doctor to get a check up, and she did all the same things a Gynae would do! and it is alot cheaper.,

Reply to GG
Posted by: can' t afford | 2008/10/03

i agree that the gynae fees are soooo expensive.
I don' t even go to the gynae because the fees are just too high and medical aid doesn' t paid...
surely there' s another way for us????

Reply to can&#39 t afford
Posted by: Lou | 2008/10/03

Unfortunately those fee' s quoted are about right for private practices. If the burning is not coming from a bladder type problem, and you are sure it is vaginal, then you will need to see a GP at least. If you cant afford the gynae fee' s, consider going to a GP (there are lots of really good female doctors if that would be more comfortable for you).
It could just be that you have thrush, which can burn as well as itch, sometimes accompanied by a thick white discharge. You can get Canesten over the counter at the pharmacy if it is thrush. If you are in doubt, go to a GP, and if they cant help you, they will refer you on.

Reply to Lou