Question
Posted by: Anne | 2009/12/15

changing of meds

Hi doc. I have been taking adco mirteron for anxiety for about 2 years, but for the last few months the anxiety is back even worse and I cant breathe. I now take Alzam to help me breathe, which works like a bomb. However, I cant take these forever, so my dr has prescribed Lexamil starting on a small dose of 2.5mg and slowly increase the dosage so that I eventurally stop the adco mirteron. Does this sound like a good plan of action. I am also seeing a psychologist who specialises in psychodynamic therapy as CBT didnt help me much. Thanks.

Is your medication being managed by a GP or a psychiatrist ? If the former, then it is recommended that a psychiatrist review such situations when the situation becomes complicated. I'd prefer that you have a thorough re-assessment of your diagnosis and treatment by such a specialist, rather than for me to try to guess at second-hand.
I'm surprised that CBT, if properly done, did not help - I have never been convinced that psychodynamic therapy works at all, and good evidence for its effectiveness in any condition is hard to find. Maybe your new therapist is using a newer variation rather than the out-dated and disproved old psychodynamic methods most of us have long since abandoned.

1