Question
Posted by: Racoon | 2010/08/11

Changing meds - dosages

Dear CS

I will be changing from Fluoxetine to Zoloft just before the birth of my son mid Sept. My current dosage of fluoxetine is 10 mg (I take 1 capsule every second day). Gynae wants to put me on 75 mg Zoloft, but it seems too much? What do you suggest?

Without the benefit of knowing far more details about you and your history with depression, I can't answer the very specific questions you are asking here. I would hope that the decisions about your taking medication during the pregnancy have been taken by your specialist psychiatrist, in consultation with your gynae.
The actual nmber of mg of diferent meds varies quite widely, so 10 mg of one is not usually equivalent to 10 mg of another.
I'm not sure whether one 10 mg dose of fluexetine every second day is an effective antidepressant dose - it sounds like a lowering dose as part of a strategy to gradually withdraw it ?

1