Posted by: Rudi | 2009-07-05

Changing meal times

Hi I' m starting to work night shift, how should I change my eating pattern from day shift to night shift

Dear Rudi
This is quite a difficult thing to do. You will have to see how your body adapts and when you experience hunger sensations. Generally speaking people who work night shifts have a light meal before leaving for work, a larger meal at about midnight and another light meal before or when they return home. If you are going to sleep for 7-8 hours during the day this would just require you to transpose all your day meals to the late afternoon, night and early morning. However, if you intend spending some part of the day being active then you may have to use 3-4 smaller meals spread out over the period when you are awake to ensure that you on the one hand do not get hungry, but on the other hand don't gain weight.