Posted by: Babes | 2009-07-17

Changing culture for your Spouse

Is it really necessary to change your culture for your spouse? My spouse finds it upsetting when I do not to take part in certain cultural events (from his culture) even though I do respect them, while he has never taken on anything from my culture even if I haved asked politly!

You can't change your culture --- we each of us have whatever culture we were born with. Generally, we adapt to changing circumstances and surroundings, including our spouse, and what hanges is our behaviour, and the customs we choose to follow or not. It is fair for someone to expect their spouse to respect their own cultural events and practices, but not necessarioly to follow them. And that degree of respect should surely be mutual. To assume that one's spouse shouild abandon their own cultural customs and ways and totally adopt one's own, is unfair and impractical