Question

Changing body shape

Wrote to fitness doc the other day and he assisted with the fitness questions I had, but suggested you could help further on the ‘ diet’  issue. Here was my question –  you can ignore the bits about the exercise if you need to:

I am a 32 year old female and up until a few weeks ago I was sure that I wanted to weigh a certain amount - am currently 61kgs and 1.61m tall, however I understand that there is no ideal weight, only a range.

My goal however is to ‘  change my appearance’  - trim the excess fat and become more defined and solid as far as the muscle goes - want legs like I had in my 20s and am not so far off now so I guess while I’  m not too old I can try to set back the clock a bit.

I have joined the gym and currently go 4 times a week (60min per session) –  cardio twice a week and machines twice a week. Would you say I am on the right track with the exercise as far as my goal is concerned? I believe I messed up my metabalism over the years starving, crash dieting and no exercise so I truly believe the exercise will make a big difference. It has been 4wks and no change at all –  clothes still the same, scale still the same –  last year I was exercising I dropped 2kgs in the first month. I’ m a bit confused as I also have my eating habits under good control - I have found what is achievable for me is to stick to a lower kilojoule, fat free, portion controlled diet 5 days of the week and then I relax a little more on the weekends. I don’  t want to go into huge diets, pills, cutting out food groups etc as I want something I can do for LIFE –  not just 2 weeks and then give up. A sample of what I eat in a day would be: cooked oats or all bran with fat free milk and sweetener for breakfast, coffee with fat free milk and 1 sweetener, lunch 4-6 provitas with scraping of lite marg, 2 mozarella cheese slices, tomotoes and 1 weigh less vienna or sandwich with peanut butter or marmite, snack later of fat free yoghurt, supper usually consists of veg and meat/chicken, steamed or grilled, but not a lot of carbs as I don’  t enjoy rice, pasta or lots of potatoes –  oh and I love red wine so at least 2 glasses a night –  should I opt to a lighter kilojoule white wine? Weekends I may have a slice of cake or chocolate bar, a steak etc –  am I relaxing too much over the weekend? Will the weekly strictness work for now to lose the excess fat? I am told that I don’  t have lots to lose so perhaps that’  s why I’  m finding it difficult? I have read all the advises on the website, but cannot see that I am too far off the track. Also, if I achieve what I want to look like, how do I maintain this? With exercise and diet? But do I have to be as strict on myself with the diet as I am at the moment or can I ease up a bit as long as I carry on the training? Please help - very confused. Thanks so much

Dear Anon
Your present BMI = 23,6 which is very close to the ideal of 22 for which you would need to weigh 57 kg, so you need only lose 4 kg. You are correct that the closer you are to your ideal weight the slower you lose, so you will have to be patient. I do think that you should reduce your wine intake because 100 ml contains approx. 300 kJ, thus your 2 glasses of wine a day could be contributing more than 600 kJ to your energy intake. Cut them out for a day and you 'save' about 10% of your daily energy intake when slimming. Try cutting out the wine for a month and you will probably lose those 4 kg. Once you have reached your goal weight you need to maintain it with a diet that is still low in fat and alcohol and by doing cardio exercise to burn kJ.

1

FORGOT TO MENTION - I DON' T MIND LOSING SLOWLY OR DOING THIS SLOWLY AS I KNOW THE LONGER IT TAKES, THE MORE PERMANENT IT WILL BE. BUT, I WOULD THINK BY NOW I WOULD START TO SEE SOME CHANGE, ALTHOUGH LITTLE, JUST TO KNOW I AM HEADING IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION.