Question
Posted by: Unwanted | 2010/04/09

Changes in Company

I have been working as a bookkeeper for one company (which went through several restructuring exercises) for 11 years. All these changes took place whilst the one director retained his position. The latest restructuring, which took place 3 years ago, saw a new director/investor joining the board. He had been associated with the company for several years prior to this. I generally have an excellent relationship with the director to whom I report.

Subsequent to the latest restructuring, the other director became the only shareholder in the company and introduced and appointed his son as director. The son is being trained to take over from the exisiting director, who is set to retire as he is in his sixties. The time of his retirement is as yet unknown.

The other director''s son has generally not been favourably received, and plays his card as ''daddy''s boy'' to the full, even though his father has placed him into the smallest of his substantial array of companies.

From early this year he has started having a problem with me, this based more on the perceived relationship/loyalty to the other director, rather than any substantive reason. I have on several occasions complained to the director about his rude and arrogant behaviour, for which he has been reprimanded. The latest incident occured this morning, when he stated that he does not want to work with me, and that this opinion is shared by his father as well as the auditor, and that they want someone from another fellow company to do their books. He did say that this does not mean that I would be kicked out.This was opposed by the director, who stated that whenever the other company in question did any work for the business, it was a mess.

After this meeting, the director assured me that as long as he is at the company, there will be no changes, but obviously cannot guarantee anything after he leaves.

The question is, what are my rights in this instance, and what action should I consider? I feel very uneasy, . With what little dealings I have had with his father, these have always been courteous and business like. As I am 54 years old, I obviously have less scope to move than a younger person would. I actually feel that so much damage was done to the relationship between me and the young director that it would be impossible for me to work for him in any case once the older director is gone.

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

RE: CHANGES IN COMPANY

You have rights with regard to the fact that you are in the position and doing the job properly. Should they wish to try and dismiss you for operational requirements they need to show that your position has become redundant. They cannot appoint a new person into your position and make you redundant.

1
Posted by: labour lawyer | 2010/04/19

RE: CHANGES IN COMPANY

Reply to labour lawyer