Question

Change of surname in a minor

When I fell pregnant in 2005 I was still in the process of changing my surname back to my maiden name after a divorce. Unfortunately Home Affairs got it all wrong and the problem was only resolved late in 2006. When I needed to register my daughter I couldnt use my surname due to the error and I had to ask her father to sign so that she could use his surname. The relationship went sour in 2006 when she was a couple of months old and he chased us away from his house. I went bacl to check if he was still there to get permission to change her surname to mine but he has since moved. I am been trying to reach him but I' ve been unsuccessful as he is not employed at the same place. I understand that he may have left the country. What other options do I have to change my daughters surname as home affairs refuses to assist without the fathers consent.

Sensible advice, as ever, from Maria. Sadly, it's not at all unusual for Home Affairs to screw things up, though they seem to be improving lately.
Your qustion is a sesible one but far outside my areas of expertise - like Maria I suggest people on the Divorce Support Forum may have mnore relevant experience, and that next week when more have returned to work, may be a better time to get responses from them. Also, check on availability of free legal advice either from the law clinic at your nearest law school, and/or through your local law Society, which may offer a free initial consultation with a local lawyer

2
Posted by: Maria | 2010/01/07

I think the Divorce Support forum might be a better place to get an answer on that one. Maybe wait until next week before you post the question as most people will then be back from holiday and you might get more responses. If all else fails you may have to consult a family lawyer.

Reply to Maria