Question
Posted by: Lisa | 2009-02-20

Change in duties

Dear Sir/ Mam

I work for an institution that uderwent a merger about 3 yrs ago. With this merger, new structures were put in place and new job descriptions were drawn up. I was left on the same grade and pay but I was not happy with my new job portfolio. I appealed this and it was rejected. Subsequently, I accepted this new role and ajusted according. In the new year, however, a few staff members have resigned from the institution and now my line manager wants to move me out of my current position and put me in a more ' superior'  position but without any increase in pay or upgrade. Basically I am being asked to do more work for the same pay and these duties are not part of my present portfolio.

I am not happy with this and do not want to accept this. Please advise me in terms of labour law, If I refuse these new duties, can I get fired? Can I insist that I will only accept new role with an increase in pay of about R4000-00 per month? I' m also going on maternity leave in May and I can' t help worrying about what will be the situation when I return back to work.

Your advise will be much appreciated.

Lisa

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

re: change in duties

You can refuse to accept change in duties, but you must understand this could lead to a possible redundancy of the position.

1
Posted by: Boetie | 2009-02-21

I would think that if the new position is more senior with more responsibility + more work then a new agreement btween yourself + employer must b negotiated. They can' t just throw a legally binding agreement out of the window + replace it with something that benefits them only. They should also compensate U accordingly. If they won' t budge then declare a dispute or go to the CCMA. Whatever U do don' t let them bully U into a situation where U will b disadvantaged.

Reply to Boetie