Posted by: Lorraine | 2013-01-16

Change in dogs toilet habits

My 10 year old Dachsie has very recently started having toilet " episodes"  where he poos and/or wees in the house during the night while I''m asleep. This despite the fact that I take him for a short walk at about 9-00pm to avoid this very situation. He is fully house trained and this has not occurred in the past except perhaps when he has had an upset stomach. Could this be due to a health problem, a " psychological"  problem or just old age?

There are a number of causes that may be responsible for the incontinence such as disease, nerve damage or spinal cord disease, intestinal worms, diet, medication, infection.
Your veterinarians will have to get the full history of your dog including possible incidents to be able to make a diagnosis.