Question
Posted by: Lida | 2012/03/05

Change in anti-depressants

I have been on lexamil 20mg for the last few years.My docter changed me to wellbutrin xl 150mg daily becuase of the lexamil taking away all sex drive. I feel terrible - have been on the wellbutrin for a week now.I am constantly angry and frustrated.When will the wellbutrin starts working?Thanks

Your doctor surely should have discussed all this with you. ALL antidepressants tend to take at least 2 to 3 weeks before showing their full effects. Wellbutrin tends to have less negative impact on one's sex drive, but can cause some degree of irritation. A new antidepressant, Agomelatine, also seems not to affect sex drive, and to have less side-effects including less irritability, and early improvement of sleep.

2
Posted by: WB | 2012/03/07

Hello Lida,
I''m on Wellbutrin and have been for about 2 years now. I can honestly say that it''s the best move ever as I was on other various AD''s before and they became ineffective after a while. Lamictin was added to level out my mood (perhaps you can speak to your doc regarding this?) I now take Lamictin with my Wellbutrin and have never felt better. All meds come with a certain amount of experimentation as you are unique and not all people react the same to the same drugs. Give it a fair chance. If after 3-4 weeks you still feel horrible, talk to your psychologist again. You could well be dealing with withdrawal symptoms from the Lexamil, so give your body a chance to adjust. I know withdrawal is absotely awful and you have to hang in there. Get your support system in place for when you''re feeling a bit " wobbly" . Best of luck to you, WB

Reply to WB