Posted by: Jeana | 2010-02-05

Chances of infection

A condom burst while having sex with my boyfriend.I however dont think it burst,i think he tore it.he was acting funny and even wanted to have sex without it.the whole thing was weird.he has been away so im not sure what he has been doing.i went to the hospital for PEP.This was about 2 hrs after the fact.they took tests to confirm my status and i am negative.if he is postive,what are my chances of cobtracting the virus and if indeed he did infect me,can i open a case with the police?

You do run a risk of contracting HIV if you have unprotected sex. You will have to do another HIV test after three, six and nine months, respectively, as there is a window period. Your boyfriend will have to do the same. If he knows his HIV status and did not inform you, you can open a case.