Posted by: Monique | 2009-09-27

Chances of getting pregnant

Good Day

I hope you can help me please.

My hubby and I are thinking of trying for a baby next year and I have a few questions and concerns that I hope you can help me with.

1. I am quite overweight and we did get pregnant 5 years ago, but it ended in misscarriage. After that I gained more weight.

2. End of last year I discovered, during a gynae visit that I have PCOS and I am also insulin resistant, which I found out a year ago. I am currently on Medformin and also dieting and excersising. I quit smoking 11 months ago and have gained weigth after that also.

3. In Nov last year I had LLETZ surgery and will go for my second post op check in two months time. So far all seems to be ok with that.

My question is: What are the chances of someone like me to get pregnant. Overweight, PCOS, insulin resistant. What are the chances of more misscarriages, don' t think I can survive another.

I am nervous of TTC because I have been told people with PCOS cannot get pregnant and if they do they always misscarry before 12 weeks.

Please shed some light on this for me.

Your advise will be much appreciated.

Not all women with PCOS struggle to conceive. The crucial thing would be to check whether you are ovulating or not. Your doctor can do a blood test to determine this. You are doing the right things with the diet and exercise, so good luck.