Question
Posted by: XXX | 2012/07/07

Champix reaction with other drugs

I just have a question regarding the safety of taking Champix with other medications or substances.

I am currently on Trepiline. Psychiatrist at some stage put me on 200mg of Trepiline as I''ve got meds resistant major depression. I''ve stopped seeing him as he put me on Wellbutrin together with 200mg Trepiline which gave me seizures that almost killed me. Don''t know what kind of specialist would do that as I started researching and found that besides Zyban having controversial side effect of seizures, Trepiline lowers the seizure threshold. I have no clue what he was thinking but I stopped seeing him and I just have GP prescribe me the Trepiline. I try to take doses as low as possible so I can only go down to 75mg which keeps me more or less stable. Is it safe to go on Champix while taking 75mg Trepiline. I wouldn''t want seizures like with Zyban

Also I do CAT (Methcathinone) recreationally which isn''t often and usually in much smaller amounts compared to other users (1g lasts me 3 days). Tried to find info online but couldn''t. I don''t have to do CAT while on Champix treatment as I dont do it often but in case I do I would like to know what kind of reaction occurs between those 2 substances.

Thank you so much in a dvance

Expert ImageStop Smoking Advice

I'm sorry to hear about your battles finding the right medication to treat your major depression. Unfortunately this is the experience of many people with the disease. Good for you that you're clearly determined to keep trying medication options, and to give up smoking too. It is the responsibility of the prescribing doctor (your GP?, which is fine) to make the call on whether it's safe for you to take Champix given your psychiatric history. It's your responsibility to be absolutely honest about your medical history with your doctor, including any recreational drug use.

3
Posted by: Penny Harley | 2012/10/25

I am confused about you email.You are worried about side effects and take CAT?CAT causes seizures!Why bother to stop smoking if you are going to kill yourself having CAT!Do not take it not even once!With you other meds, it will kill you

Reply to Penny Harley
Posted by: XXX | 2012/07/17

Thank you so much :) I will speak to my doc

Reply to XXX
Posted by: Stop Smoking Advice | 2012/07/14

Reply to Stop Smoking Advice