Question
Posted by: Marike | 2010/03/18

chalorie intake

why if my resting metaboIic rate is 1642 and my daily calorie intake is less than that (I mean not even half of that) can''t I loose weight? I''m on ciplatrim, diotroxin, surely this should make a difference?

Dear Marike
If you RMR is 1642 kcal and you are ingesting less than 800 kcal then it is possible that your body has switched off its weightloss systems in the face of perceived starvation. Starvation diets are often unproductive and suppress your normal metabolism because the human body tries to conserve its energy. I would recommend that you consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), so that she/he can assess your energy needs and provide you with a balanced, slimming diet, which provides you with sufficient energy that you can, for example, do 30 min of aerobic exercise every day to stimulate your metabolism (swimming, cycling, brisk walking, skipping, etc).

1

Dear Marike