Posted by: linros | 2009-07-16

Cervical Spondylosis

I am a 29 yr woman who has been struggling with neck pain &  spasms for the last 8 year &  last week Thursday it was so acute that I couldn' t move my neck at all. My doctor gave me a muscle relaxant injection and sent me for x-rays.
The x-ray report said that there is a C6/C7 disc space narrowing, together with early body vertebral osteophytosis. The diagnosis was mild C6/C7 spondylosis.

I' ve been going to physio since last week to relieve the pain &  get my neck mobile again. The doctor also prescribed Robaxin &  Myprodol for 5 days'  use.

I now have mobility back in my neck, but am still struggling with pain in the neck. The physio suggested that I should continue exercising, but with caution (my doctor didn' t say anything).
I go to bootcamp 3 times a week (Adventure Bootcamp for Women) which is vigorous outdoors exercise &  have been doing it since January this year. I am not quite sure what exercises I should be avoiding except that bouncing/ hopping which I found to be painful. FYI - we use free weights in bootcamp for toning.

Could you please advise what exercises I should be wary of / avoid?

Dear Linros
Tell your trainer about your problem so that she /he can be aware of the exercises your are given to do. Avoid any exercises that cause pain or straining of the neck - especially neck or upper back exercises. Always warm up and cool down properly.

Posted by: Gill | 2009-07-16

Hi! I was diagnosed with Cervical Sponylosis 2 yrs ago (in my late 30' s). I used a neck collar for a while and went for physio. I am also an active person but was told not to do any weight lifting or picking up anything heavy. Also, not to do any sports that involve vigorous head movement. I am much better now however I do have periodic spasms. I also changed my pillow. I hope this helps.

Reply to Gill