Posted by: Gina | 2009-04-24

Cervical Spine

My husband had a heavy object fall on his head. This is what the report reads: There is prominence of the prevertebral soft tissues over the lower cervical spince. There is slights narrowing of the C5-C6 disc space, particularly anteriorly, without associated marginal degenerative changes to suggest chronicity. There is slight divergence of the spinous processes at the C5-C6 level. The features raise the possibility of an acute hyperflexion sprain. There is no loss of alighment and no associated fracture. The remainder of the cervial spine is normal.

My husband is out of the country and can therefore not go back to our dr. at this stage but we would like to know what all of this means. Pleas be kind enough to explain this to us.

Thank you and kind regards
Kobus and Gina

Expert ImageChiroDoc

Dear Gina
Your husband seems to have suffered some injury to the cervical spine in the C5/6 region. The soft tissue injury is associated with the described event and should recover within a few weeks - however, I would suggest a visit to a chiropractor to determine whether or not the actual functional integrity of the area is implicated.