Posted by: Meg | 2009-04-16

cervical fusion surgery?

i have suffered with neck and upper back pain for over 10 yrs now and have managed it by using chiro' s and physio' s etc.... A few months ago the pain just got worse and physio did nothing to relieve pain. Also started getting pins and needles down back of arm into baby finger and that progressed to whole hand nembness and weakening. After X rays, Ortho' s and MRI, it was found that I have to have C6 &  C 7 disk replacement surgery and there are also boney growths growing in toward my spinal cord. Seemingly a lack of curve in my neck has caused the faster degeneration of these disks. My neuro surgeon says there is no other option.....My question is what sort of success rate do they have in op' s like this and is it worth doing? I' ve read a lot of blogs on this surgery and am shocked at how many people have pain returning worse than b4 the op.......Help!

Expert ImageChiroDoc

There never is any positive guarentee on a 100% success - however if a disc prosthesis is indicated, and given your condition as described by yourself - it does not seem as if you don't have much of an option. The neurosurgeons who perform this specific procedure in South Africa, are well qualified and certainly are very much aware of possible risks - which they naturally are determined to avoid at all costs.