Question
Posted by: Momof3 | 2010/05/08

Cervical Cancer or problems .Any symtoms ?

Hi GyneaDoc

I am 50yrs old and have had 3 children. 24, 21 &  16.
I am not on birth control &  have not used birth control since my last son was born as my husband had a vasectomy also due to breast cancer family history.

I still menstruate every 28 days &  still have all my organs. I do bleed very heavily each month but as menopause is not far off maybe by 55 I decided to stick it out. yes i am scared of having a hysterectomy.

I do notice every month, for many years now that around ovulation, a sensation on the cervix area, just 2fingers above the hairline, which lasts about a day, which i put down to ovulation. around the 14th day. I menstruate on the 28th day &  its very regular and lasts for 6-7 days. Has always been like that.

About 2 days ago ,on the 16th day of my cycle Due on the 19th. I had the same sensation but a bit stronger and it was more painful than normal and grew stronger .

The next day when i had a bowl movement I had bright red blood in my stool. I have had an anal fissure before due to child birth and it comes back once in a while due to constipation etc. The GP did give me Scheriproct ointment before which helped and took it away. So I phoned my chemist and asked for a re script., which I started using yesterday afternoon. The anus feels a bit better &  so does the cervix area. But I can still feel that sensation on my cervix area and its been 2/3 days now which is different.

Is this a sign that their could be something wrong with the cervix -such as cancerous cells etc as before I had my 1st child 24yrs ago ,now ,,my gynea did burn the cervix at one of my yearly visits and he said he saw lesions on the cervix and just burnt it before telling me otherwise I would clamp up and it would be more sore &  more difficult for him to treat.

I had regular check ups since then and nothing. But not in the last few years. I know, I need to find a good gynea as mine has retired now :) Anyone you can recommend in the Bellville area-i can travel.

Can you please tell me if their are any signs or symptoms to look out for, for cervical cancer / lesions etc .or could it be something else. I am using the Scheriproct Ointment 2 x a day but am concerned now .Are the two areas bowl &  cervix close together in the body and could it be more serious.
I am on Glucophage XR and Diamicrone for Diabetes type 2 .Thanks In advance.

At your age any bleeding needs to be investigated. You should not just use Scheriproct cream without a medical examination. Colon cancer would be the concern.
In terms of your cervix, cervical cancer usually presents with bleeding after sex or between periods. I am not sure why you think that the pain was related to your cervix, but what you really need is a gynaecological assessment. Unfortunately I cannot make recomemndations on this site, but there are many gynaecologists in the Bellville area.

2

Posted by: Momof3 | 2010/05/08

PS: I dont have any discharge or any bleeding from the vagina other than during menstruation. But do feel discomfort &  a bit of pain in the anal region and in the front above the cervix area as indicated now, in the last 2/3 days. Thanks GyneDoc.

Reply to Momof3