Posted by: cancer_scare | 2009-01-05

Cervical cancer or bad gynae

Hi Gynae Doc,

I' ve had 4 (abnormal) pap smears in the last year at my gynae' s instruction, every 3 months. He now wants to do a colposcopy to check whether I may have cervical cancer. My question is - can' t he tell from the pap smears whether I have cancer? If not, why has he waited a whole year to do further diagnostic testing? All my test results I get second-hand from his receptionist over the phone. I don' t feel that anything has been properly explained to me. How can a medical professional ignore potential cancer for a year?

There are different grades of abnormality on the pap smear. Pap smears are just screening tests and do not make the diagnosis of cervical cancer. If the abnormality is mild it is quite normal to repeat them rather than do more invasive tests immediately. Your doctor ios not bad, perhaps has just not explained things to you.