Posted by: Holly | 2012-09-19

Cervical cancer

I am looking for a quote on the importance of preventing cervical cancer as a teenager.

A teenager should in general not present with cervical cancer, as they are not suppose to be sexually active. Cervical cancer is mainly caused by the transmission of the human papillomavirus. Abstinense during the teenage years is a sure way to prevent cervical cancer. Please refer to the following article for more information:

Posted by: Annelize | 2012-09-24

Holly there is a vaccine against the HPV strands (viruses) tht can cause cervical cancer but you must have it BEFORE you are exposed to these sexually transmitted viruses either through rape or mutually agreed on sex. Therefore, the best time to have it is when you are a teenager. You should go for annual pap smears once a year as soon as you become sexually active especially if your partner does not use condoms, has not been circumcized or has had multiple sexual partners.
I was a virgin until the age of 26. Although I had ONE sexual partner only, I still developed cervical cancer at the age of 30 but it was caught very early (in the carcinoma in situ stage) and treated with a CONE BIOPSY very successfully. I have never smoked in my life so the gynaecologist said I did not fit the profile for cervical cancer at all. That just goes to show that one can NEVER be too careful. I have been cancer free for 17 years and STILL have my womb :-)

Reply to Annelize