Question
Posted by: haamidah | 2010/06/24

cervical cancer

Hi. I am 26weeks pregnant and recently after a pap smear found out that i have abnormal cells at the base of my cervics. I went for a colposcopy yesterday and the docter confirmed the abnorm cells but that it hasnt developed futher yet. Because there is no immediate danger to me or my baby they are not going to treat it now. I have to go back for another colposcopy at 32 weeks and go for treatment at 6 weeks after birth. I just wanted to know what are the chances of this going to cancer. How long does it take for the cells to develop into cancer and what type of treatment are they going to give after giving birth.
I know that i should be concentrating on my pregnancy but this is very upsetting to me. I have no family history of cervical cancer so this came as a complete suprise to me and my mother. My baby is donig well and i think he\she actually saved my live cause i would not have gone for a pap smear if i wasnt pregnant. They did tell me that my cervics are very sensitive and raw and that i could easily start bleeding or my cervics can open easily. What does this mean for my pregnancy and what precausens should i take.

If left untreated it is likely to become cancerous, but if the cells were only mildly abnormal, this takes several years. The treatment is LETZ - a form of laser cutting out of the abnormal area. Other than regular follow-ups there isn;t anything you need to do in the pregnancy and the abnormla cells should not affect the pregnancy.

1