Question
Posted by: Lizzie | 2012-01-25

Cervic cancer

I went for my routine Pap smear and just got the results back that there are some or other cells present now and I need to do another test in 3months time.
Unfortunately my doctor is in surgery today and I have all these questions that I can''t ask him...
What does it mean that there are cells present and why do I need to do the exam again in 3 months only, why not tomorrow?
What do I do from here? What shouldn''t I do?
PLEASE HELP???

Lizzie

It is possible that atypical cells have been noticed. These cells could be a precursor for cancer. A routine papsmear is done to assess if the abnormal cells were only a once-off occurence. If it is still present after three months, your doctor will consider doing a biopsy of the cervix.

The risk for cancer is very low and that is the reason why the papsmear will only be repeated in 3 months time.

Please do not be alarmed and there is nothing that you should or should not do.