Posted by: CP MOM | 2009-08-17

Cerebral Palsy child of 12

My daughter has recently (a month now) started complaining that her foot is sore. She is disalbed on her right side. She can walk, jump and and she' s fairly normal.

It seems that when she' s been asleep or has sit still for a while her foot is " sore"  - sore can mean anything as she has a limited vocabulary.

I' ve pulled and pushed and pinched it all over where it' s " sore"  now it will not be sore just now. When it' s " sore"  i wait for her attention to be elsewhere and then it' s not " sore"  when I touch there. Otherway around as well she' ll look away and I' ll push on a place and she' ll say nothing, 2 minutes later I can see her flinch.

Sometimes when I put a sock on her foot and it points then it' s also " sore" .

I took her to a podiatrist he said that he' ll make a shoe for her as her foot walks to the inside. I said no thank you she had callipers and legg irons for 5 years 20 hours a day - i' m done with that, and wearing a shoe won' t help her when she wakes up.

Took her to another one he said you muscles shrink 4% every night and cp' s about 8% and that' s why - I just have to let her gradually wake up and take her time. So for 12 years this has not been a problem and now suddenly?????

I then phoned a orthopedic surgeon Dr. Wium in Kempton Park and he wanted xrays of her entire body. Which cost a fortune. But I did he then said she' s getting skoliosis - which is a problem for another day. But that her feet are ok. I said it' s not ok! He said she probably leans that foot inwards and that' s why it' s sore because all her weight is on it. One day when she' s full grown we can cut her achillies tendant. I left there none the wiser.

I then phoned the pediatric neurologist in pta Dr. Lipperds rooms - you never get to speek to him - and his receiptionist advised that I give her ponstan 3 times a day and see if it " goes away"  !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its really bad some days and every single day there is a time it bothers her.

Thanking You

Expert ImageArchive

Dear CP Mom

It seems to me that foot pain in CP children is poorly understood, mostly the reading I have done on the subject points to muscle and joint stress that is caused by tight muscles. I must say that I have no experience of dealing with specific cases. I have seen good results when patients are given corrective insoles that help with muscle and joint pain by helping with walking and standing correctly.