Question
Posted by: David | 2013-02-01

Cerebral palsy

Good Morning Dr.

When I was 2, i was diagnosed with a very very mild case of Cerebral palsy affecting my Right Leg. When i was 12, (I am currently 26) I underwent an operation to Lengthen my Achilles tendon in my right leg as I was not able to place my heel flat on the floor. They established that my right leg is approx 2cm Shorter then my left. Since the Operation, due to recovery etc, my right leg muscles are still considerably smaller then my left.

now, Post op, the Dr. who performed my surgery (Dr. venter - Sunninghill Hospital) said that when I was 21, i would have to undergo another op similar to the one I have had as my growth would have stopped by that age.

So based on this premis, 2 Questions - 1 - If my leg is not hampering me in any way - should i still consider this Op, and 2, With regards to the Cerebral palsy, will that affect the growth in other parts of my body that I should be on the lookout for (And possibly unable to have Children due to the lack of development)

Many thanks