Posted by: Ants | 2010-12-01

Central Auditory Processing Disorder

Hi ENT Expert,

My son has been on Ritalin for 4 years because the neurologist diagnosed him with ADD in Grade 0. I watched Carte Blanche and they had a story about children that had Central Auditory Processing Disorder but were all diagnosed as ADD.

They say that all the " symptoms"  points to ADD.

What do you know about CAPD? What is the symptoms of CAPD? Who can test for CAPD?

Please help.

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Ants

Children with hearing difficulties are often misdiagnosed with attention defecit, as they find it difficult to concentrate, especially in a noisy environment. It is advisable to have a hearing test performed in any child were the diagnosis is a possibiliy. Children with CAPD, have difficulty to UNDERSTAND what they hear, thus causing similar problems in children with hearing loss.
An audiologist should be able to test for this condition, so I suggest you phone a practise in your area to enquire if they are able to perform these tests.
The following is needed:
1. Audiogram and tympanomatry
2. Elcrophysiological tests, eg ABR, MLR, P300
3. Specialist tests:Dichotic tests
Temporal tests
Low redundancy tests
Binaural interaction tests

This is a relatively new field (since the 1950's), and tests are still being refined to understand this complex problem. Patients diagnosed with this problem require intensive therapy, your audiologist dhould be able to advise you.

Hi ENT Expert I would like to find out if it is possible to diagnose a 5 year old child with APD?