Question
Posted by: Clare | 2010/08/05

Cellulitis and diabetis

My father in law just moved in with us and he is diabetic. In the first week he stayed with us he was admitted to the government hospital with left leg cellulitis. He stayed there for five days whereby they treated him with antibitics. the inflammation and redness went down totally only to have him bump his right leg which has now got a sore on it also coupled with cellulitis. Upon seeing a sister at the pharmacy yesterday she discovered that his blood sugar level was 25.2. I was shocked to discover it was so high as i thought he was testing it twice a day and taking the necessary insulin to correct his levels. When i checked his level again today at home it was 24. I took him to the govenment hospital again where a dr advised him that the increase in sugar was due to the infection in his leg. we are treating his leg with aqueas cream and oral antibiotics. I am trying to ensure he eats several small meals a day, and he also spends most of his time with his leg elevated to help the blood flow. The dr that saw him today also advised us to increase his dosage until we are rid of the infection at which stage he says the sugar level will drop to normal. Is there anything i can do in the future to ensure that small bumps and scratches etc dont turn into cellulitis each time? thank you in advance

Hallo Clare
If a diabetic has an infection their bloodsugar goes haywire even if they eat right and use their insulin correctly.

Maybe ask his doctor if he should not go onto an insulin sliding scale until the levels come down?

Any injuries must immediately be treated by disinfecting and putting antibiotic ointment on it (like Bactroban), cover with bandaid.

It will be good if a wound care sister can keep an eye on his leg as they can get complications very quickly. See if there is a pharmacy with a clinic near you?

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/08/05

Hallo Clare