Posted by: bubbles | 2009-01-07

Hi Doc, left leg calf swollen, sore, was hot but not now, veins still tender to touch and when walking - had blood tests done, were inconclusive so went for the doppler scan to check for DVT - negative on that thank goodness but was suggested cellulitis. Now, leg was getting better with Thrombophob gel and pain killers but around ankle and behind knee is sore and another question is why are my veins so tender and swollen still on the calf? I am morbid obese and not very active. Do I need to have antibiotics? Appreciate any help, thank you.

Dear Bubbles
If the skin is red and warm you may need antibiotics, only vein inflammation is treated with thrombophob alone. Thrombophlebitis can take a while to subside. It may help to use 1/2 Disprin per day to keep the blood thin if you don't have any problems with blood otherwise and if you don't use a blood thinner already. Elevate your leg if swollen and use a warm washcloth to apply heat to the involved area several times daily.
Try getting some exercise like walking - even if you break it into small 5 min sessions 6 times a day.

Posted by: bubbles | 2009-01-07

Thanks for the advise Dr Bets - will apply immediately.

Reply to bubbles