Question
Posted by: Monika | 2012-03-09

Cellulite withouoth weight loss?

Hi expert

Is it ever possible to treat cellulite and not lose weight? I am just the right weight in fact my silhouette is essentially fine, just the skin structure is not. I do not want to go on one of those advertised machines or procedures and lose weight. Is there any procedure out there which will not make me thinner but will treat the cellulite?

thanks

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Monika, thank you for the question.

Cellulite is a term used to describe the dimpled appearance of skin caused by fat deposits that are just below the surface of the skin and the loss of the underlying connective fibres or bands. It generally appears on skin in the abdomen, lower limbs, and pelvic region, and it usually occurs after puberty. It can occur in underweight, normal weight and overweight people so losing weight is not the answer. Liposuction or laser lipolysis may actually worsen the effect of the cellulite so should be avoided.
Cellulite is difficult to treat and the treatment is dependent on the severity or its classification. Your best option would be to consult a dermatologist or a plastic surgeon who can examine the skin and advise you on the best treatment options.
A number of technology based treatments can be found specifically for treating cellulite but I am only aware of one FDA approved machine that is specific for cellulite: Syneron’s Velashape. Please phone Radiant Healthcare (SA Distributor) at 011 794 8253 to find the closest doctor to you.

2
Posted by: Jeanette | 2012-05-10

I found that when I was doing yoga regularly, I had much less cellulite than now. I was also eating more natural/raw food - no caffeine, preservatives, oil-fried food. Basically oats, eggs, fish &  salad/veg.

Reply to Jeanette
Posted by: anti-ageing expert | 2012-03-17

Hi Monika, thank you for the question.

Reply to anti-ageing expert