Question
Posted by: Unats | 2009/11/11

Cellulite om arms

Hi there Fitness Doc

I desperatley need your help. I have been struggling with my weight for as long as I can remeber. I am currently on a diet plan, some days are good and some are very bad.
I have noticed unsightly cellulite on my arms. It is horrible!!! What can I do to get rid of it?
Thanks a mil

Hi Unats

Well, diet is the first step, so you're on the right journey already.

You can add exercise - not sure if you're doing that already?

Regardless of the location, the key is a combination of proper exercise and careful diet. Proper exercise means avoiding the myth that you can spot reduce. That is, there is a perception that you can target specific areas for fat loss by doing very specific exercise. Unfortunately, a million arm exercises a day is not the sole solution. It certainly has a beneficial effect, as I’ll explain, but by itself is not the solution. So rather than becoming pre-occupied on one area, your aim should be to increase metabolic rate – that’s how you burn fat. You do through regular cardiovascular exercise, which includes cycling, aerobics, taebo, spinning, walking or jogging.

You should then combine this with some weight training. Weight training, which includes arm exercises like bicep curls, tricep dips etc, is helpful because it increases muscle mass (which has the long-term effect of raising metabolic rate) and because it literally helps create more muscle. More muscle means a more toned appearance. Just doing sit-ups is a start, but you can raise the impact by doing a variety of exercises that target different abdominal muscles. I’d suggest speaking to a trainer at the gym to discover these.

Finally, remember that diet is the great “enabler”. If exercise is perfect, but diet poor, then you undermine your progress. So cover that base, perhaps by seeing a dietician, and get cover all three bases.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2009/11/15

Hi Unats

Reply to fitnessdoc