Question
Posted by: Peter Mayson | 2010-01-11

Cellphone Masts and Cancer

A friend who stayed with me for a while expressed alarm at the sight of a cellphone mast attached to an apartment block some 400m away. So, regarding cellphone mast radiation:Is there any reason for alarm for me and others at risk of developing cancer?

Expert ImageEnviroHealth expert

No, I don't think you have cause for alarm. The mast itself is harmless; it's the antenna on the mast that gives out radiation - but this is at a low level and quickly decreases the further you move away. At 400m away the effect would be extremely low, and the scientific consensus at this point is that such low levels won't raise your risk for cancer or any other health problems. Nonetheless, it's prudent to be cautious and avoid unnecessary cell use and proximity to masts or base stations, because scientists also agree that a lot more research is needed in this area before we fully understand the risks.

1
Posted by: EnviroHealth Expert | 2010-01-12

Reply to EnviroHealth Expert