Cell phone inspection

Would it me unreasonable to ask my 14 year old son to remove all passwords from his cell phone? He is constantly on his cell phone. When I walk in, he hides the cell. I am getting worried about what he is up to. I cannot check his cell phone, because there are passwords. If I ask him to remove the passwords and check his phone regularly, would that be unacceptable?

It would be entirely reasonable. You are the parent, he is the child ; you pay for the phone and he calls. He should not be doing anything on it which he needs to keep secret from you . He is 14, you are not. Liza puts it excellently well. How you do it is worth using yout wisdom and skill and not being needlessly abrasive. That you can abd should do it, is non-negotiable.

Posted by: Bob' s Girlfriend | 2009-06-17

You call him, you say take the passwords off and give me your phone NOW - or I confiscate your cell phone and you are punished further by not going anywhere but school for a week.

Reply to Bob&#39 s Girlfriend
Posted by: Liza | 2009-06-17

I personally think that its'  necessary to check childrens'  cellphones. There are so many bad things out there that children can be exposed to via cellphones. The inspection should however be done in a non-threatening manner. No screaming, shouting or punishment if something bad is found on the phone. Just a calm discussion about how and why things are on the phone. And then making your preferences known. Reading every single sms is also an invasion of privacy. Checking the phone memory for pictures, mxit contacts and internet history should be enough. My sons don' t mind their phones being checked. But I think that the not minding has a lot to do with the way in which it is done.

Reply to Liza