Posted by: Dubra | 2009-10-05

Celiac x Supplement with pancreatic enzymes

Hi Dr Ingrid...hope you are well.
I wrote for you about a month ago asking about a Gluten-Free diet to help me to gain weight until I can meet the dietitian, I just forgot to mention that I live in Dublin - Ireland, but it' s alright. I have done the biopsy and at the same day the dr said that I should start the GF diet, but without more explanation. I will have an appoitment with him just on second of December, what is a bit far and about the dietitian I haven' t a clue. So I would like to have your help again at this time about " Supplement with pancreatic enzymes" . I' m 31 years old, 1,60cm and 43kg, very tiny and petite woman...I started the GF diet on my way and I didnt see any improvement yet. I' m taking Iron since March (Dried Ferrous Sulphate BP 325mg) and Folic Acid 5mg what helped me with the anaemia very much, also taking Real Jelly (1 per day in the morning) and my normal pill. Could I take this Supplement with pancreatic enzymes, if yes, which kind, because I visited the health shop today, and I found one with more than one enzyme and another one just called Pancreatic Enzymes with only one enzyme. I' m very lost about everything!!!
Anyway, hope you and your family are in good health and may God bless you!!!

Dear Dubra
I am well thank you and glad to hear that your anaemia is improving. I did not realise that you don't live in South Africa, but in Ireland! This does complicate matters a bit, but I did an Internet Search for the Irish equivalent of our Dietetics Association and found out that in Ireland you have the Irish Nutrition & Dietetics Institute with the following contact info: Address: Ashgrove House, Kill Avenue, Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin; Email:; Tel: 01-2804839. PLEASE phone the Irish Institute and ask them Immediately how to contact a dietitian in your area, because you need professional advice on your diet and also what supplements you can and cannot use. For your own sake arrange to see an Irish dietitian at once. If you suffer from coeliac disease you need careful guidance every step of the way until you have got used to what you can eat and that is what the dietitian will help you with. First talk to the dietitian and then if necessary buy supplements and/or enzyme preparations.
Holding thumbs that you will now receive the help you need.

Posted by: Dubra | 2009-10-06

Oh...that was very kind of you Dr of doing all that research on the internet...I really appreciate that! The Department of Nutrition of the public hospital that I have been, is going to contact tomorrow and see if I have got any appointment, if not, I definitely will get in touch with the Irish Nutrition &  Dietetics Institute and get one private dietitian. I had a look in the website and that' s great...we can look for a dietitian which is expert in Celiac disease for example, that' s really nice! I thank you very much indeed!!!
Wish the best

Reply to Dubra