Posted by: Dubra | 2009-08-26

Celiac Disease

Hi Dr Ingrid, hope you are well.
I wrote to you last year about my difficulty of gain weight, but now my haematologist diagnosed that I have Celiac Disease. Even with a rich diet in iron I still had anaemia  so with all Celiac symptoms like foul-smelling feces, pale, loose and greasy stools, bloated, flatulence, fatigue etc he requested the blood test where now he has 99,9% of confirmation of the disease above, now I' m waiting to see the gastro which is going to request for the biopsia and then refere me to the dietician, my question is until all this could you possibly help me with a high caloric diet free of gluten for now, because I keep very skinny...1,60cm - 42,5kg and I am lost about what to eat. I am in public service, so I dont know when I will see the gastro.
Thank you very much and hope you are in good healh.
Kind regards

Dear Dubra
Thank you for your kind words. It is good to hear from you again, but I am so sorry that you definitely suffer from Celiac disease. This is such a tricky situation because you will need to avoid all foods that contain even traces of wheat, rye, oats, barley, spelt, kamut, titricale, because they all contain gluten. You can use full-cream milk, yoghurt, and cheese, meat, fish, vegetables, fruit, sugar, maize meal and sorghum (Maltabella), rice, and maize grits, plus margarine and oils. So eat large portions of maize meal or Maltabella for breakfast with full-cream milk and sugar, plus a boiled egg with bacon and grilled tomatoes. Eat fruit, dried fruit or fruit dainties and nuts for snacks. For lunch you can have potatoes or potato salad with mayonnaise, or rice or boiled corn on the cob with margarine, grilled meat or fish, salad or cooked veg, plus a full-cream yoghurt for dessert. In the evening have meat, fish or egg with rice or cooked maize grits, a salad with a homemade dressing (use olive oil, vinegar, chopped fresh herbs, sugar and black pepper), cooked vegetables and fresh fruit with full-cream yoghurt for dessert. If you eat hearty portions of these foods and snack in between on dried fruit and nuts you WILL gain weight. But PLEASE CHECK EVERY LABEL OF EVERY FOOD YOU BUY SO THAT YOU CAN AVOID THE GRAINS THAT CONTAIN GLUTEN. Please do see the dietitian so that she can help you adjust to this type of eating.

Posted by: Dubra | 2009-08-28

Dear Dr Ingrid
Thank you soo much for your help!!! For sure I will see the dietitian, I cant wait for this day to come!!! And for sure I will try to change my diet since now with your help...thank you very much again and I wish the best for you and your family!!!
Kind regards

Reply to Dubra